We all love doing our laundry right? Ok, how many of you just fell of your chair reading that? I think I may have cramped up my fingers just typing it! I hate doing laundry and we are a family of 4 so there is a LOT OF IT! But more than hating DOING the laundry I hated what I was using to CLEAN the laundry.
Have you ever sat back and looked at the ingredient list on the back of your laundry detergent? No? Just me? Well I’ll be doing you a service then because I want to share with you some of the most hazardous ingredients to your health that you are using to WASH your cloths with and you will then wear on your bodies for 24 hours a day!
Let’s start with laundry detergent:
- Fragrance – Many manufacturers combine a number of chemicals to produce a fragrance so you believe that your clothes are clean because they SMELL clean. The thing about this is the companies don’t have to list those chemicals they used to achieve the fragrance on the label! In most cases some of those chemicals can be very toxic.
- Surfactants (Cleaning Agents) – These are in the detergent to help it clean better. These chemicals are quaternium-15 (known to release formaldehyde, a known carcinogen), diethanolamin (linked with skin and eye irritation), nonlphenol ethoxylate (toxic to nerves, irritating to the skin, potential hormone disruptor), linear alkyl benzene sulfonates (irritating to skin and eyes; benzene on its own is a carcinogen), and petroleum distillates (linked to cancer and lung damage).
- Stabilizers – These are the chemicals used to help the detergent last longer on the shelf. One chemical used in a lot of products is polyalkylene oxide or ethylene oxide, which are linked with eye and lung irritation.
- Brighteners – When you see a product that boasts “brighter whites, brighter colors” you should run in the opposite direction. What’s creating these brights? Chemicals that remain on the clothes to absorb UV light and help clothes appear brighter!
Shall we address dryer sheets next? Yes lets…
- Alpha-Terpineol – This chemical is known to cause central nervous system disorders, loss of muscular coordination, central nervous system depression, and headache.
- Benzyl Alcohol – Known to cause central nervous system disorders, headaches, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, central nervous system depression, and in some cases, death.
- Camphor – This chemical is on the US EPA’s Hazardous Waste list. It is also a known central nervous system stimulant, causes dizziness, confusion, nausea, twitching muscles, and convulsions.
- Chloroform – This chemical is on the EPA’s Hazardous Waste list and is neurotoxic and carcinogenic.
- Ethyl Acetate – Also on the EPA’s Hazardous Waste list and is a narcotic and may cause headaches and narcosis.
- Linalool – This chemical is known to cause central nervous system disorders. It is also a narcotic.
- Pentane – Known to cause headaches, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, drowsiness, and loss of consciousness. Repeated inhalation of vapors causes central nervous system depression.
So in conclusion…YIKES!!!! Am I right???
So what are you supposed to do to clean your clothes the non-toxic way? You invest in your health and the health of your family by purchasing a plant-based and essential oil infused product that does NOT contain harmful chemicals! What do I use? Young Living’s Thieves Laundry soap. And what about your dryer sheets? Easy fix! I purchased these Wool Dryer Balls and use 2-3 drops each of lemon and lavender essential oils. Our clothes always come out clean, fresh smelling and best of all, NO CHEMICALS!!!
If you want to learn how you can start your essential oils journey you can click HERE to purchase!
Disclaimer: I am not a doctor. This post is not medical advice. This is my personal experience about what worked for me and my family. I have no way of knowing if essential oils truly helped any of the situations described.